Refers to a well that meets any of the following criteria:
- construction as terminated prior to completion of the well,
- the well owner has notified the local Board of Health that use of the well has, after extended use, been permanently discontinued,
- the well has been out of service for at least three years,
- the well is a potential hazard to public health or safety and the situation cannot be corrected,
- the well is in such a state of disrepair that its continued use is impractical, or
- the well has the potential for transmitting contaminants from the land surface into an aquifer or from one aquifer to another and the situation cannot be corrected.